April Yamasaki, pastor at Emmanuel Mennonite Church in Abbotsford, British Columbia, offers this guide to scriptures on the topic of how to practice Christ-centered community, based on 1 Corinthians 16:
- Give regularly – verses 1-4.
- Practice hospitality – verses 5-6.
- Spend time together – verses 7-9.
- Respect one another – verses 10-12.
- Do everything in love – verses 13-14, cf. verse 24.
- Serve one another – verses 15-16.
- Say thank you – verses 17 – 18.
- Greet warmly – verses 19-20.
- Remember the wider community – note the many places mentioned throughout this chapter: Galatia (v. 1), Jerusalem (v. 3), Macedonia (v. 5), Ephesus (v. 8), Achaia (v. 15), Asia (v. 19).
- Pray (verses 22-23).
You can hear April’s concluding sermon on Christ-centered community for a preaching series on 1 Corinthians at Emmanuel.
April is also the author of Sacred Pauses on spirituality, and the writer of a Mennonite Women Canada and Mennonite Women USA: Women’s Bible Study guide, Spark: Igniting Your God-Given Creativity.
Outline used by permission of April Yamasaki.